Our client is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. Their nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages and is based in the Midwest.
The Food Safety Engineering group is accountable for providing trusted Food Safety expertise and continuous improvement programs that ensure our client provides safe, high-quality products to our consumers every day. The Food Safety Engineering team is responsible for reducing food safety risks by providing technical support while governing and optimizing policies to ensure Company effectively produces safe, high-quality products.
The Project Leader in Global Food Safety has the broad objective of reducing food safety risk in the manufacture and distribution for all products in the portfolio. The successful incumbent will require the ability to appropriately identify, assess and minimize risks in the manufacturing of products to assure the safety, efficacy, regulatory compliance, and customer satisfaction while balancing the need to not impact manufacturing efficiency. To meet business unit objectives, this Project Leader will be responsible for assuring the appropriate departments are pulled in as needed to deliver on expected results. As the Project Leader for Global Food Safety, the position will need to provide creative risk mitigation strategies for new and existing projects to successfully deliver safe, quality foods in both infant and adult production. Although the Project Leader will work independently, the incumbent will need strong skills to lead cross-functional groups of SMEs and set expectations against key company and department goals while delivering results.
- Serve as technical lead for global expansion projects and New Product Development projects with exposure to Senior Leadership.
- Support global expansion risk assessments that provide assessment of issues, risks, schedule, and resource requirements for projects.
- Gain knowledge of global network by supporting projects both onsite and remotely
- Create innovative food safety designs and assure associated policies comply with applicable Regulations for nutritional products and dietary supplements distributed globally.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Medical Safety, Regulatory Affairs, and other areas to establish appropriate preventive control strategies and provide necessary support for implementation.
- Support with internal/external audits and inspections (FDA, ISO22000, Ministry of Health, etc.)
inquiries associated with food safety.
- Establish and execute policies, procedures, processes, and principles to provide robust preventive controls, assure appropriate evaluation during development and provide necessary technical support.
- Collaborate with Division Engineering to design development of innovative preventive controls.
- Serve as technical support to sites to identify issues, investigate and implement corrective and preventative actions.
- Effectively collaborate across all operational, technical, and commercial functions at all levels of Division, company owned Plants and Third-Party Manufacturer (TPM) Management to assure product food safety requirements are successfully translated into product/process design and specifications.
- Support the impact of quality related food safety criteria on product and operational costs.
- Assure that product food safety is monitored via manufacturing non-conformances and complaints.
- Provide oversight of changes to plant work orders and TPM standard manufacturing plans, procedures, and equipment/processes as they relate to food safety and testing.
- Provide around-the-clock technical support to plants regarding resolution of non-conforming exceptions as they relate to food safety.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science
- A minimum of two years or more years’ experience in plant operations or support
Basic knowledge of applicable regulatory standards and Good Manufacturing Practices as required by the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) or other regulatory bodies as appropriate for nutritional and dietary supplement products is needed. The successful incumbent will have demonstrated effective leadership and managerial skills and exhibited sound technical judgment. The individual will have experience managing in an environment with changing priorities and making appropriate risk-based decisions in the face of uncertainty. Requirements include excellent written and oral communication skills and proficiency in organizing and presenting complex technical information to upper levels of management. The position requires a broad understanding of engineering technical aspects of product/process/package design and manufacture and their impact on quality and food safety. The individual must have sufficient technical knowledge and business experience to meaningfully engage and influence technical, commercial and operations functions to ensure food safety design criteria providing necessary safety, efficacy, and regulatory compliance.