Research & Development Sensory Co-op (SAPB)
Intern – QC/QA, Intern – R&D
We are currently hiring a Sensory, Research & Development Lab Co-op at our Samuel Adams Brewery in Breinigsville, PA. This position is from July-December 2023.
The Co-Op works with the sensory team at the Sam Adam’s brewery to run daily taste panels to approve products and ingredients. Co-Ops will also run additional testing on a weekly basis including difference tests, consumer testing in the tour center of the brewery, and descriptive panels to identify and describe flavor profiles of products. The position is also responsible for maintaining the product and ingredient databases and keeping the sensory labs clean and sensory neutral. The brewery environment is fast paced but friendly, so the Co-Op should have good time management skills and strong work ethic, but also enjoy the camaraderie and fun team events with the brewery team.
You will learn how to organoleptically evaluate beverages and how these evaluations fit in to any food and beverage company. You will also learn how to analyze and report data in a scientific and meaningful way to help influence business decisions. Additionally, you will be working closely with the brewing and research and development teams to schedule testing and go about your daily tasks.
This is a full time position and the brewing team hours are 6:30am-2:30pm.
What You’ll Brew:
- How to set-up internal tastings including descriptive panel and alignment tasting panels from start to finish
- Gathering data and analyzing to find compelling information needed to communicate to stakeholders
- Manage small, medium, and large datasets, databases, and dashboards
- Support sensory technologists/sensory team to meet project timelines and goals
- Reviewing survey links prior to launching to ensure the content programmed matches original documents created
- Opportunities to run your own study using our consumers who come through the tour center (Depend on restrictions/no restrictions)
- Ongoing research in sensory for alcoholic beverages and/or opportunities for personal research study
Best if you are interested in:
- Consumer Product Testing
- Data analysis and interpretation for use in product development
- Consumer psychology and consumption behavior
What Ingredients You’ll Bring:
- Enrolled in a 2+ year Food Science B.S or M.S program (also acceptable, statistics/data science, psychology, sociology program)
- Must be able to commit to a 6-month long internship
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Valid Social Security Number needed by first day of employment
- Time management, data analysis, multi-tasking, organizational skills are essential
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We hire the best talent; and we reward, develop, and retain them too.
In addition to generous healthcare on day one, stock purchase plan, 401k and more, Full Time Boston Beer Coworkers have the following perks available*:
- Tuition reimbursement
- Fertility/adoption support
- Free financial coaching
- Health & wellness program and discounts
- Professional development & training
- Free beer!
- *Talk to your recruiter about eligibility
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact jobs bostonbeer.com for assistance.