Our client is a leading manufacturer of refrigerated dips and spreads based in the Richmond, VA area. This position is part of the Research & Development team responsible for Regulatory Compliance of products and supporting Wellness and Nutrition program objectives. The person in this position will:
- Assess and guide on regulatory compliance and nutrition agenda of ingredients, formulations, labeling, claims and brand communications.
- Assist with delivering strategic wellness and nutrition program objectives.
- Build strong interdepartmental relations with key stakeholder functions, including other CSI members, Marketing, Supply Chain/Purchasing, Quality, Operations and Legal.
POSITION FUNCTION & SCOPE:
This position has six key functions:
- Apply experience and knowledge in consumer food labeling regulations to support the brand, ensuring regulatory compliance of ingredients and formulas, product labels, claims and consumer communications while aligning with the overall company standards and business strategy.
- Actively provide regulatory and wellness & nutrition input and leadership throughout the innovation and renovation processes.
- Apply experience and knowledge of nutrition science to support the Wellness and Nutrition program. This will include supporting implementation of strategic action plans.
- Assist in assessing, advising and commenting on new and revised food labeling legislation to support the Company’s agenda.
- Expertly manage ingredient nutritional, allergen and ingredient line terminology in product database as basis for accurate labeling information and claim substantiation.
- Serve as guardian of technical labeling database information and regulatory support documentation (e.g., systematic maintenance of ingredient and formula information in labeling database, product COAs, consumer response data, and sales data, etc.).
- Serve as the Regulatory Lead on assigned product lines and projects throughout the Product Innovation and Renovation processes, from concept to post launch, by providing expert regulatory direction on mandatory labeling elements, claim development & substantiation. Includes creation of ingredients in database, development of labeling information, and approval of packaging artwork and communications.
- Apply experience and knowledge to evaluate and approve all ingredients for regulatory and labeling compliance working in conjunction with Product Development and Quality.
- Develop robust claim substantiation protocols and execute complex calculations to substantiate product claims by interpreting regulations, and or federal guidance documents.
- Review and approve internal and external communications to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws.
- Assist in business impact assessment of new/modified food labeling regulations.
- Identify/support opportunities to continuously improve the nutrition profile of our product lines during innovation and renovation projects.
- Manage technical documentation including product COAs, Feeding Program exchanges, Nutrition Charts and responding to Consumer Response questions, while ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Build strong interdepartmental relationships with key stakeholder teams: other CSI members, Marketing, Supply Chain/Purchasing, Quality, Operations and Legal.
- Required: Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (R.D.N.)
- S. in Nutrition Science or Food Science or related field; M.S. preferred
- 8+ years of professional experience that includes nutrition science and regulatory compliance.
- Strong nutrition and/or food science background; experience with applying FDA labeling regulations, GRAS and food additive assessments, claim development, ingredient declarations and standards of identity.
- Strong knowledge and experience with US FDA food labeling regulations; and foundational knowledge of Canadian CFIA food labeling laws and regulations preferred.
- Strong technical knowledge of ingredients including nutritional, genetic engineering, and organic requirements.
- Results-oriented team player capable of building interdepartmental collaboration, working in a fast-paced environment, all with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to use, maintain and leverage data and technical information systems.
- Ability to network with regulatory and legal claim consultants, industry associations (such as AND, ASN, IFT, GMA, 3rd party certifiers), and federal regulators (FDA/CFIA) to evaluate claims and answer technical regulatory questions.
- Ability to execute complex mathematical calculations to ensure formulation compliance and substantiate product claims.
- Strong project management planning and implementation skills with track record of delivering initiated projects.
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills, and a strong aptitude with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Some domestic travel could be required (5 – 10%).
This is not a remote position
For more information, please contact Moira McGrath at OPUS International, Inc. at (954) 428-3888 or firstname.lastname@example.org