Our Client has been producing high quality products for major national brands and premier private brands for over 40 years. They bake snacks ranging from classic pretzel shapes to cheese puffs to filled pretzels across our network of bakeries their three bakeries in the Midwest. Innovation is the foundation of their growth strategy. They pride themselves on thinking differently, taking risks, and moving quickly.
A data-driven scientist who researches, conducts benchtop and pilot line experiments, gathers, and analyzes data, and prepares recommendations for the development of base innovation, renovation, cost optimization, and quality initiatives. Brings a collaborative mindset and succeeds in a “hands-on” environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops products, including new items, line extensions, and optimizations, from ideation though commercialization, that meet internal and external product guidelines.
- Leads cross-functional teams through product development schedules that meet aggressive project timelines.
- With limited supervision, research materials and methods, executes experiments, gathers, and analyzes data, develops preliminary findings, prepares and presents written reports and summaries.
- Collect and analyze data, translates findings into possible solutions, and presents recommendations to organization leadership.
- Advise and guide, as requested, other R&D team members and other departments on scientific/technical matters as necessary.
- Support the investigation of new technologies and ingredients through interaction with vendors. Actively seek to enhance technical skills though project experience, conferences, training programs.
- Lead product cuttings with innovation, sales, management, and external customers. Be flexible in taking additional tasks as need to support company business objectives.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- B.S. degree in Food Science. Advanced degree preferred. Minimum of 5 years experience in food R&D.
- Experience working through ambiguity, adapting to change, and persevering. A drive for results/ can-do mentality is critical to success.
- Demonstrated success developing products from bench-top through commercialization. Experience developing across multiple food categories is strongly preferred.
- Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize multiple activities simultaneously Working knowledge of typical analytical and physical testing equipment and methods, including moisture balances, rheometers, and colorimeters.
- Experience with ESHA Genesis preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively across levels and functions internally and with third parties.
- Ability to identify critical path items and risks, and effectively communicate these to both the R&D team and management.
- Ability to consume a variety of baked goods and allergens (wheat, peanut, tree nut, almond, dairy, and sesame).
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 15%, including occasional overnights, depending on project work. Ability travel by car and plane as an effective and professional representative of Pretzels, Inc.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, including overnights and occasional weekends, to support plant or pilot trials.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- The employee will be required to frequently walk, stand, sit, and use their hands. The employee will occasionally be required to stoop, kneel, climb, and crouch.
- The employee must be able to occasionally lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Work environment conditions may require the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to eye safety glasses, side shields, hearing protectors and hair nets.
All Candidates must be able to work in U.S. without sponsorship.