Food Science Intern- job post
Elkhart Lake, WI 53020
Pulled from the full job description
Full Job Description
Req ID: 1436
Do you have an interest in gaining valuable skills and experiences owning and leading food science projects for a leading consumer packaged goods company? In this internship role, you will apply scientific and engineering principles in research, development, production technology, quality control, packaging, processing, and utilization of foods.
You are passionate and knowledgeable about food science principles, practices, and procedures. You have a high interest in exploring more deeply your major area of study and future career area of interest in food science in an opportunity that combines your classroom experience with real world work experience.
What You Do.
- Under close supervision, executes experiments in the research and development of products using laboratory/pilot plant procedures
- Performs a variety of routine scientific tasks that provide experience and familiarization with technical and other functional areas using the methods, practices, and programs of Sargento Foods, Inc.
- Learns methods to improve quality of foods such as flavor, color, texture, nutritional value, convenience, or physical, chemical, and microbiological composition of foods and applies to assigned projects
- Studies food standards, safety and sanitary regulations, good manufacturing practices and supply specifications to ensure projects meet applicable standards
- Evaluates food products, processes, and packaging, and develops specific production methodology under test conditions
- May assist plant scale-up of products and processes into the manufacturing plant
- Seek information from internal (process engineers, marketing, quality systems) and external (suppliers, consultants) functional experts to resolve issues
- Maintains written technical documentation, and product and process specifications
Your Education and Experience.
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree of science in Food Science, Food Process Engineering, or a related field having completed junior year by May 2023.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information to peers and colleagues
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle required. There is not mass/public transit system to/from corporate housing location to company locations.
Benefits That Set Us Apart.
- Opportunity to lead and own significant and meaningful projects with clear set of deliverables, benefiting you with valuable skills and experiences and our company with valuable insights and recommendations.
- Paid internship/co-op experience; competitive with national intern/co-op compensation rates.
- Housing and relocation provided
- Opportunity may include potential travel by plane, train, rental car, and/or hotel for work
- Mentoring, career development and community service experiences along with company-wide and county-wide intern events.
- Flexible work week with virtual Monday and Friday. Fridays being half-days
Sargento Foods has been a leader in cheese since 1953. We are proud to be the company that successfully introduced America to pre-packaged sliced and shredded natural cheese. Today, we manufacture and market amazing natural cheese products, as well as ingredients. Our third-generation family owners live to serve our communities and employees, who are part of the Sargento Family.
To learn more about our culture and values, please visit our website at https://careers.sargento.com/us/en.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.