Food Science Intern- job post
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Full Job Description
We’re bringing an egg white to the table that is produced completely animal-free using fermentation technology, uses less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of hen-borne egg whites.
*** Must be currently an undergrad or masters student during the duration of internship***
No Recent Graduates
Ideal Start Date: January 2021
Duration of Internship: 6 to 8 months (up to 40 hours per week)
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Hiring Manager: Associate Director, Product Development
Under active supervision
- You will participate in the application development of the protein through product development process including new idea generation, prototype development and product optimization.
- You will collaborate with cross functional teams comprising technical experts within the R&D function, as well as assist with documentation, ingredient validation and inventory management.
- You may assist with production start-up across a diverse portfolio of product categories.
Qualifications/Requirements we are looking for:
- Must be currently pursuing a BS or MS in Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Nutrition, Agriculture or related degree.
- Ability to contribute in a fast paced, research-oriented environment.
- Basic knowledge of food chemistry, ingredient technology, food processing and analytical techniques used in food industry is desirable.
- Candidates must be in good academic standing with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Operate with moderate supervision and have meticulous attention to detail.
- Experience with literature research and design of experiments is desirable.
- Intermediate knowledge of computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel and working with Google Drive is required.
- Proven ability to manage multiple assignments/ tasks
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods
What we can offer:
- Paid internship
- Ample opportunities to apply analytical and product development skills in the food industry.
- An engaging and fulfilling way to use science to make an impact in shaping Clara’s breakthrough product offerings
- Program, learning objectives and duration customized to the candidate’s expertise and learning goals.
- Opportunity to conduct cutting edge research in a great team environment.
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, local coffees, and teas
- Monthly all-hands meetings; and cross-functional training opportunities
- Company merch, IT support, and company-provided electronic equipment
- Free parking, renovated gym, lounge/patio area, yoga + cycling classes onsite
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Close to South San Francisco bart station and Cal Train station (Shuttles run directly from our building to these stations)
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting – and that technology may hold a solution.
As much as the growing market demands for animal protein production exert pressure on food producers to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale animal agriculture.
Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the animal out of the equation. We’re bringing products to the table that are produced completely animal-free, use less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of animal proteins.