2021 Summer Internships (Ingredients R&D)- job post
At Hilmar Cheese Company we offer a 10-week paid, skill-enriching, innovation-generating summer advantage. Our interns innovate, collaborate and deliver. We’re counting on our interns to bring fresh ideas and own exciting projects in the works.
As an intern at our Hilmar, CA site, you’ll be exposed to real life business situations and will work on projects alongside our employees. Your summer with Hilmar Cheese will include dairy visits, community projects, and even a chance to pick the brain of our senior leaders. You’ll have the opportunity to gain insight on how we create wholesome dairy products, systems and services that improve lives around the world.
Benefits of a Hilmar Cheese Company Internship
- Gain professional work experience in an area related to your degree.
- Work in a positive, well-balanced environment.
- Learn about the industry from all levels of management.
- Potential opportunity, upon graduation, for full-time employment with a successful, fast-growing company!
- Participate in team projects that contribute to the improvement of the company’s commercial processes and product quality.
- Understanding the science behind ingredients making and exploring new technology options
- Investigating the microbiology of ingredients making at the cell and molecular level
- Developing analytical methods to evaluate dairy ingredient quality and functionality
- Characterizing/evaluating a current commercial process or new processes R&D group is developing
- Assisting in the set-up of laboratory or production experiments.
- Scale-up and production of products for use as sales prototypes
- Investigation of alternative ingredients with whey protein substitution
- Characterization of new ingredients (Functionality testing)
- Completion of Sophomore year at a college or university and working towards a degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field.
- Basic knowledge of MS Office products: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Strong applied technical skills and analytical problem-solving skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Reliable transportation to and from work
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to:
- Stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear.
- Stand and walk almost the entire workday.
- Employees must be physically capable of working in any of the job tasks within their respective area.
- Required to work at heights and in fairly small areas.
- Pushing, pulling, reaching, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, handling and grasping, twisting/turning, repetitive bending.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Exposure to dust, fumes, smoke, gases, or other irritating substances.
- Exposure to solvents or chemicals.
- Exposure to slippery walking surfaces: water.
- Exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity depending on time of year.
Working surface is primarily concrete. Where standing is required, there are rubber mats which are one-half inch thick.
Food safety is a companywide responsibility and each employee must know their role in the manufacture and distribution of safe, wholesome, and high quality products.
This description is a general statement and does not include other duties as assigned
Hilmar Cheese Company, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer/EEO. We participate in E-Verify.
Hilmar Cheese Company