Food Safety & Quality Internship (Summer 2021)- job post
The Michael Foods family of businesses has grown to become amulti-billion manufacturer of foodservice and food ingredient offerings by introducing innovative products that have changed the food landscape. From helping restaurant owners enhance the quality of their menus, to supporting food manufacturers with premium ingredients, to satisfying countless consumers with our popular lines, we’re a proven, innovative leader in food.
The objective of a Food Safety & Quality Intern is to build capability and provide a pipeline of future talent for Michael Foods. An intern will be introduced to entry level activities, which include but are limited to Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) and HACCP principles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Intern will learn the practical application of:
- Assist in drafting, revision, and plant standard operating procedures. (primary focus of this current position).
- Act as a liaison between Production, Distribution, Sanitation, Maintenance, and the Quality Department.
- Participate in plant food safety/quality inspections, in-process inspections.
- Verify sanitary condition of production lines prior to start-up and after downtime requiring maintenance activity.
- Perform investigative environmental swabbing of critical production equipment/areas as a troubleshooting guide.
- Expected to adhere to safe work practices, follow GMP and HACCP guidelines, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Performs other duties as assigned by site QA manager.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or equivalent.
- Enrolled or attending an accredited 2 or 4-year college/university working towards a degree in Food Science, Biological Science, Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Safety or a related field.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and Word
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English) but not required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work and may not include all the duties associated with this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)