Sensory Analytics Intern- job post
- Bachelor’s degree
Full Job Description
Ocean Spray is committed to fostering an inclusive culture, where all individuals thrive as their authentic selves. Our different backgrounds, experiences and ways of thinking inspire us to be exceptional. Be collaborative. Be innovators. We believe that our team members are our best asset and we offer an environment where you can work with passionate and collaborative teams that are motivated to deliver Ocean Spray products around the world.
Who We are Looking For:
Are you a food lover at heart? Do you love thinking about or talking about your most recent culinary adventure? Do you have a passion for understanding the way that others experience and describe foods and beverages? Are you immersed in academic research and looking for a chance to explore what a career in industry might look like? If you’re up for a challenge, then join us to in helping connect farms to families for a better life.
What You Will Do & Learn:
You’ll be part of the Sensory Analytics team at Ocean Spray, where our mission is to create and optimize strong sensory science practices and protocols that will power the innovation and production needs of Ocean Spray. As part of this team, you will work with teams across the organization including Product Development and Culinary Sciences, Food Safety and Quality Assurance, Consumer Insights, and Analytical Chemistry and learn about multiple facets of a consumer product goods company, from developing a new product to ensuring quality of the products that our consumers have grown to love. This internship will train you in the different aspects of sensory science including sample preparation, designing and executing various sensory test methodologies, data analysis, interpretation of results, and report writing.
Specific objectives may include
- Conduct research and analyze data to increase understanding of the sensorial attributes of our ingredients, prototypes, and finished products
- Collaborate with product development and consumer insights to incorporate consumer feedback on flavor and claims positioning
- Network with cross-functional team members to better understand the role of sensory science in the CPG environment
- Help move the sensory analytical program forward to meet the needs of our product development teams in their development of new products and reformulation of existing products to meet business needs; meet the needs of our quality teams as they continue to sharpen our sensory acuity for incoming ingredients and/or finished products
What You’ll Need:
- Interest in pursuing a career in sensory science, food safety and quality, and/or product development.
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Solid problem-solving skills, attention to detail, high degree or organization, and curiosity
- Experience with sensory testing, statistical analysis, basic laboratory instruments and procedures,
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- A strong ability to communicate basic science and technical challenges to non-technical audiences.
- An ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional team environment.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Nutrition, or related field. 2020 grads will be considered.
Duration & Location:
- Position will start in June 7, 2021 and run for 10-12 weeks.
- Traditional work week but with summer Fridays 8:00am-12:30pm; flexibility and off-site work may be required for project travel, experimental test runs, customer discovery.
- COVID-permitting, this position will be located at our corporate headquarters in Lakeville, MA (about 45 minutes South of Boston – Exit 6 off of Rte 495). If necessary, this internship can be facilitated virtually.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.