Our client is a specialty sauce and condiment manufacturer. They produce private label, branded and co-packed products for an array of national and international customers. The company is aggressively growing its product portfolio and its customer base and requires a Food Scientist to contribute to the team. This position is well suited for you if you enjoy being a part of a small organization where you can have a meaningful impact on business results, working cross functionally. This role also offers the opportunity for personal growth, as employees receive cross-training and experience in multiple areas of the business to provide redundancy; in addition, the role will provide the candidate with direct exposure to senior management, both at the site and corporate level.
Summary: The Food Scientist is responsible for supporting the growth of new and existing products in the marketplace.
- Partner with Marketing and Sales to identify and develop new product platforms and improvements which delight customers and support business strategies.
- Source raw ingredients and specifications that meet company standards.
- Develop formula and processing specifications and costing for new product prototypes.
- Determine special processes in order to ensure safe products.
- Develop tests to make sure products meet quality standards and legal requirements.
- Support new product launch to plant startup until quality standards are established.
- Provide sales samples of new products as requested by Sales and Marketing.
- Set up sensory panels to evaluate new products or existing products.
- Conduct shelf-life tests on new products.
- Generate nutritional data, assuring compliance with regulatory nutritional and label compliance.
- Identify and implement cost reduction opportunities through reformulation.
- Provide technical guidance to production and quality staff when required.
- Comply with all company work and safety rules and regulatory compliance rules and regulations.
- Maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe work area.
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practices and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Adhere to all safety and security policies and procedures.
- Follow all food safety and quality system requirements by committing to meet all pertinent regulatory, customer and Safe Quality Foods (SQF) requirements.
- BS degree in food science or other relevant field required.
- 2-5 years of experience in R&D, regulatory, or quality role in food industry required.
Other Skills and relevant considerations:
- Project Management experience beneficial, creativity is critical.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional sensory capability.
- Must be able to frequently stand, walk, kneel, reach, climb, pull, and bend with full range of body motion.
- Must be able to work independently and/or on a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work in a wet and/or humid environment. Occasional exposure to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals will occur. Exposure to nut allergens.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.