Our client, is a home-delivered meal service providing fully prepared, refrigerated meal solutions direct to homes nationwide for over 18 years. We provide seniors, patients recovering post-discharge and those managing a chronic condition with tailored nutrition solutions to manage their specific needs. If you are passionate about the well-being of others and have a strong sense of community, this could be the place for you! They are a family operated business looking for fun, compassionate, and friendly people who want to make a difference in the lives of others.
The Raw Material Technician is responsible for monitoring raw material inventories and conducting appropriate test measures to ensure shelf-life of materials used in Mom’s Meals. This position performs organoleptic testing, collaborates with external laboratories, and communicates results to Tech Services Management and other stakeholders as necessary for possible shelf-life extension. This position reports directly to the Director of Quality and Food Safety.
- Monitors ingredient inventory and evaluates as necessary to assist in product dispositions.
- Coordinates and/or pulls ingredient samples for internal and external testing.
- Conducts organoleptic sensory evaluations to determine timeline to support best buy dates or product shelf-life extensions.
- Communicates with external laboratories regarding appropriate ingredient testing to support ingredient usage and shelf-life extensions.
- Communicates with Inventory Management and Operations personnel regarding usage or disposal of ingredients. Assists with disposals as needed.
- Assists in the evaluation and preparation of ingredient specifications for new ingredients.
- Reviews and approves ingredient Certificates of Analysis against ingredient specifications to assist in raw material ingredient release.
- Assists in the development of written processes and protocols to streamline shelf-life evaluations.
- Builds continuous improvement by developing and implementing new procedures based on data trends and analyses.
- Reports any food safety issues as it relates to raw materials to Management, as necessary.
- Performs special project as assigned by the Food Safety Management Team
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Familiarity and experience conducting laboratory test methods such as sensory (i.e. taste, smell and appearance), microbiological testing, pH, moisture analysis, and other chemistry testing as applicable.
- Relevant industry work experience conducting shelf life testing of foods desired.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices and experience working in a food establishment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology or a related field or relevant work experience required.
- GFSI schema training desired (SQF, BRC, etc.)
- Working knowledge of regulations and guidelines imposed upon meat & poultry operations by federal and state agencies and authorities desired
- Previous experience preparing and/or reviewing product Certificates of Analyses.
- Ability to review and interpret product specifications.
JOB SKILLS / BEHAVIOR
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be able to communicate with Management as needed for product dispositions and issues.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office programs such as Excel
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Shows initiative and able to work as part of a team; communicates effectively
- Excellent organization and decision-making skills
- Reliable problem solver with strong project management skills
- Corporate Technical Services Management Team
- Purchasing and Inventory Management
- Plant Quality and Operations
- Type of Work: Moderately Active: Work will involve being in hot or cold environments for extended periods of time. Person will need to be able to stand for long periods of time and actively move around equipment and relatively small spaces. Good eyesight with no color blindness
- Physical Work: Periodically be able to move large totes or carts of food and supplies.
- Extreme Conditions: Extended work at temperatures below 40°F and potentially down to 0°F. Work at temperatures above 80°F for extended periods of time