Our client is a home-delivered meal service providing fully prepared, refrigerated meal solutions direct to homes nationwide for over 18 years. We provide seniors, patients recovering post-discharge and those managing a chronic condition with tailored nutrition solutions to manage their specific needs. If you are passionate about the well-being of others and have a strong sense of community, Our client could be the place for you! They are a family operated business looking for fun, compassionate, and friendly people who want to make a difference in the lives of others.
The Quality and Food Safety Technologist applies knowledge and technical skills to thoroughly evaluate the food safety of all raw materials and ingredients used by our client. This position is responsible for managing the assessment program of food safety and quality risks associated with raw materials and aiding in the development of HACCP/Food Safety Plans and specifications to ensure product safety. This position reports directly to the Director Food Safety and Quality.
- Conducts raw material/ingredient risk assessments through use of vendor HACCP/ Food Safety Plans, regulatory information and industry research to effectively assess and identify the potential risks associated with purchased materials.
- Utilizes technical expertise through various processing techniques over multiple product types to appropriately assess risks to aid in the mitigation of food safety incidents in our.
- Collaborates with Technical Services Team members to assist with HACCP and Food Safety Plan development and annual HACCP reassessments as it relates to raw material changes or additions.
- Responsible for updates and maintenance of the risk assessment forms and plans.
- Incorporates knowledge to identify risk level for Our clients’ HACCP/Food Safety Plans and supplier monitoring frequencies.
- Collaborates with Purchasing/Supply Chain and Tech Services Supplier Quality teams to qualify new suppliers and aid in resolution of vendor nonconformities related to production issues and/or client complaints.
- Organizes and reports on raw material food safety assessments and recommends an action plan to understand the impact of the assessment gaps.
- Further develop and evolve food safety and quality risk assessment criteria and programs.
- Identifies, measures, implements and reports on continuous improvement initiatives regarding raw material quality or supplier nonconformities.
- Assist in analyzing complaint data as it relates to supplied materials to identify trends and opportunities with products and vendors to drive continuous improvement.
- Leads and supports root cause problem solving tools for investigating raw material food safety and quality compliance issues.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to incorporate appropriate raw material specifications, as needed.
- Contributes to improving raw material quality by helping develop consistent raw material attributes and specifications.
- Provides food safety and quality leadership to the Tech Services department as it relates to raw materials and ingredients.
- Assure programs, policies and procedures are compliant and kept current.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Food Safety Management Team
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong technical expertise encompassing various food manufacturing processes such as spray drying, freeze drying, blending/mixing, pH adjusting, extraction, canning, evaporation, heating, etc.
- Knowledge of food safety mitigation processing techniques to reduce microbial, chemical, and foreign material hazards.
- Ability to identify appropriate risks associated with plant, animal, and synthetic based products based upon technical knowledge.
- Familiarity with various industries such as Dairy, Meat and Poultry, Egg, Seafood, Food Additives.
- Experience in a quality assurance role in a food manufacturing facility required
- Excellent knowledge of HACCP & HARPC and experience in implementation of Food Safety Management Plans
- Certification by recognized HACCP training provider required. (Meat, Poultry)
- Seafood HACCP Certified required
- Working knowledge of regulations and guidelines such as FDA and USDA titles 21 and 9 for GMPs and quality programs to support risk mitigation in processed raw materials.
- Master’s Degree or Undergraduate in Food Science, Microbiology, or Meat Science or similar required.
- GFSI schematic training desired (SQF, BRC, etc.)
JOB SKILLS / BEHAVIOR
- Ability to work autonomously to research scientific criteria to support risk assessment strategies, as needed.
- Must be able to communicate persuasively and passionately about the need for food safety & quality
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office programs such as Excel; strong computer skills is required
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Shows initiative and able to work as part of a team; communicates effectively
- Excellent organization and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Corporate Technical Services Management Team
- Purchasing/Supply Chain
- Research and Development
- Plant Managers and QA/FS
- Must be able to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, and to read, hear and process detailed information.
- Must have good visual perception to read computer screens and differentiate between multiple product items.