Family-owned and headquartered in Southern California the company is a global produce leader and the world’s largest producer of carrots. The company supplies more than 65 organic, USA-grown crops year-round. The company is committed to caring for customers and employees, honoring sustainable practices, and preserving natural resources for future generations.
This position is VP of Food Safety will be responsible for the general oversight, implementation, and management of all facility and farming food safety programs.
- Masters in Microbiology, Food Science, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences or related field is required. Ph.D. in Microbiology, Food Science, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences or related field preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a food safety related position.
- Must be experienced and knowledgeable in the areas of food safety, product safety, document control, and regulatory issues pertaining to raw and processed agricultural commodities.
- Candidate must have extensive knowledge of FSMA, Good Agricultural/Manufacturing Programs, HACCP/HARPC and Global Food Safety Initiative audit schemes.
- Previous staff management experience is required.
- Must have experience creating, updating, and implementing food safety programs.
- Must be able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously requiring communication and interaction with all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to read and understand written information in English.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean DMV driving record.
- Must pass pre-placement drug/alcohol screen and background screen.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design, implement, monitor, and administer Food Safety programs at multiple facilities and farming locations and ensure their compliance with all relevant requirements.
- Ensure facilities and farms are prepared for both scheduled and unannounced government, regulatory, third party, and customer food safety audits.
- Perform root cause analysis and corrective/preventive actions on any food safety issues.
- Oversee product and water testing programs.
- Provide direction and leadership to Food Safety Department personnel.
- Develop, train and assess the performance of Food Safety Department staff.
- Provide recommendations to management in relation to food safety compliance and improvements.
- Interface with plant operations team to lead the quality agenda, review measured progress, and work collaboratively to achieve defined objectives.
- Maintain food safety system documentation.
- Additional projects and duties as it relates to this position.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position throughout much of the working day. Ability to occasionally move about inside the office, in food processing facilities, and in the farming fields. Ability to operate a computer and other office productivity equipment. Ability to work outdoors. Ability to visually inspect equipment and product. Must be able to work in different temperatures (working temperatures as hot as 100° to 110° F and as cold as -20° F .
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the U.S. now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.