Our client is a home-delivered meal service providing full prepared, refrigerated meal solutions direct to homes nationwide and have been in business for over 18 years. They provide seniors, patients recovering post-discharge and those managing a chronic condition with tailored nutrition solutions to manage their specific needs. If you are passionate about the well-being of others and have a strong sense of community, this is the place for you! Our client is looking for fun, compassionate, and friendly people who want to make a difference in the lives of others.
The Senior Food Safety Manager provides leadership in all areas of food safety, sanitation, hygiene and regulatory compliance. This position provides leadership for the Corporate Food Safety- Supplier Auditing Team and the Cold Chain Maintenance Team (i.e. route truck remote cold storage facilities, route truck temperature maintenance auditing & contract carrier cold chain maintenance & pack configuration validation studies). This position reports directly to the VP of Technical Services.
Shall provide leadership in food safety and quality guidance with:
- Purchasing and the R&D Departments for selecting new ingredients and suppliers
- Supplier Qualification Program – conducting vendor site food safety audits:
- Understand and identify food safety risks in supply categories: Meat, Poultry, Seafood, Spices, Functional Ingredients, Flavors (powders, pastes, liquids), other
- Manage Auditing Staff to assure completion of the CAPA program following supplier audits
- Microbiology as it relates to meal shelf life and food product life cycles (i.e. controls in pH, pathogen controls, shelf life extenders, etc.)
- Federal and State Regulatory Agencies: USDA/FSIS; FDA, Ohio Dept of Ag, Iowa Inspection and Appeals, State Health Departments
- Ingredients/Raw Material Complaints – assisting purchasing in corrective action and root cause analysis
- Supplier Auditing Team – auditing, budget development and execution
- Food Safety Programs / Plans
- Remote cold storage facilities – management/leadership
- Sanitary Transportation of Perishable Goods (i.e. cold chain maintenance)
- Delivery Cooler/Box & Gel Pack Configuration Validation Studies – contract & route
- Allergen management
- 10 years or more experience in a managerial role in human food manufacturing facilities
- 5 years or more experience within USDA/FSIS inspected post slaughter RTE operations
- Excellent knowledge of HACCP(meat & poultry), Seafood HACCP & HARPC and experience in implementation of Food Safety Management Plans
- Certification by recognized HACCP training provider. (Meat, Poultry & Seafood)
- Working knowledge of regulations and guidelines for a dual jurisdiction operations (FDA, USDA/FSIS)
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Meat Science or similar
- GFSI training (SQF, BRC, FSSC 22000, etc)
- 10 years or more experience with NLEA – nutrition labeling requirements (FDA, USDA/FSIS)
- PCQI certification with working knowledge of the food safety modernization act (FSMA)
JOB SKILLS / BEHAVIOR
- Comfortable working independently
- Effective communication skills and able to persuasively and passionately communicate needs for continuous improvement in food safety & quality
- Skills/knowledge of Microsoft Office and other computer programs
- Ability to communicate in English orally and in writing with coworkers, regulatory officials, and plant management
- Ability and desire to thrive leading multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Initiative and ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent organization and decision-making skills
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS & DEMANDS
- On a daily basis while in consultation (if needed) with Leadership, Plant Managers and Facility QA/FS Mgrs, the Sr Food Safety Manager will be responsible for providing guidance and insight to the disposition of non-compliant products, raw materials, supplier audits and regulatory issues.
- INTERNAL/EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION
- Corporate Technical Services Management Team
- Plant Managers and Corporate Leadership
- Federal and State regulatory personnel
- Production and Fulfillment Food Safety Teams (QA, Sanitation, Operations)
- Supply Chain
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Moderately Active: Work will involve being in hot or cold environments for extended periods of time. Person will need to be able to stand for long periods of time and actively move around equipment and relatively small spaces. Good eyesight with no color blindness
- Physical Work: Periodically be able to move large totes or carts of food and supplies with weights up to 44 pounds. Climb ladders and observe overhead pipelines and structures from heights
- Extreme Conditions: Extended work at temperatures below 40°F and potentially down to 0°F. Work at temperatures above 80°F for extended periods of time
- Schedule: The hours of work availability will be such that support is provided to the fulfillment and production facilities to assure continuous operations. The typical workday requires a minimum of 9 hours Monday-Friday. Operations are conducted in several different time zones and may require extended hours of availability.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the U.S. now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For more information, please contact Elizabeth Pereira, OPUS International, Inc. at 954 428-3888 or firstname.lastname@example.org